Horse Network

Equestrian Community

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Riding objectives
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:39 pm 

I'm going to be starting riding my new loan horse soon once her cut heals, was just looking for small aims that I could try to reach after a schooling session of about 40 minutes. So far I have working in a contact, extension and collection, leg yielding.
Any more suggestions would be hugely appreciated

Post subject: Re: Riding objectives
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:02 am 

Make sure the first 10 minutes is a warm up - get her listening and warming her muscles up. And make sure the last 5 - 10 minutes (depending on how hard she's worked and her fitness levels) are a cool down.
In the bit in the middle try to think of one key thing and target that as your aim.
It could be circles (sounds simple, right?) but really focus on riding different sizes of circle in different paces in different locations in the school. How accurate are they, how balanced are they, does the horse find it easier to do certain things in certain locations? Is there a difference between right and left reins? You can adapt this to whatever level of training you and the horse are at but will help you focus on the way things are happening.
Another good one is to spend the session concentrating on transitions. Work through you paces going up and down and vary it loads. Really focus on the smallest aids possible to get a reaction, it will really get her listening to you. If it's going well you can try for "direct transitions" halt-trot, trot-halt, walk-canter. That usually makes a horse think.
Lengthening and shortening the paces is another great one. Slowing and quickening too, that shouldn't be the same thing but for most horses at lower schooling levels it is - see if you can get a difference! Can you shorten and increase the speed or lengthen and slow it right down?

It's always great to get an instructor to work with you and give you some ideas for specific exercises to do in your sessions.
Most importantly make sure that you both have fun as that will give you both more benefit than anything!