Horse Network

Equestrian Community

It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Avatar
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:52 pm 

Its time to change my avatar as i no longer work at the stud so its not really appropriate to have pic of one of the foals as my avatar.
I am trying to put a pic of my loan horse up but it keeps on saying must not be more than 100 pixels wide or 100 pixels high.
How do i change the amount of pixels it is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:51 pm 

Hi Becky :)

Go onto paint and resize it smaller. To check put the cursor in the bottom right hand side of the picture and on the bar below it will tell you then save :) If you cant do it post me the pic on MSN and I will do it for you :)

Charl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:17 am 

Dont know how to do it so will send you it tonight on MSN.
Thanks Charlotte x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:53 am 

Do you have a program called Microsoft Office Picture Manager? You'll find it in your start menu, under Microsoft Office->Microsoft Office Tools. If you have, run it and load in your image, and follow these steps:

1. Having loaded in your image, click on Edit Pictures on the top toolbar. You'll see a sidebar open up with different tools listed.

2. Click on Resize.

3. This gives you 4 options - Original size, Predefined width x height, Custom width x height and Percentage of original width x height. You need to select the 3rd option, custom width x height. Enter the value 100 into both of the boxes underneath where it says Custom width x height. The program will calculate the new image size to allow it to fit into a 100x100 box - so if it started out at 200x150, it'll reduce it to 100x75, keeping the correct "aspect ratio". You'll see the new image size displayed at the bottom.

4. Click on OK, then save your image under a new name - make sure you use the Save As option from the File menu, otherwise you'll lose your full-sized original.

This is easier than Paint, which (in my version, anyway!) only allows you to change by working on Percentage. If it all goes horribly wrong, you can just select Discard Changes from the Edit menu to get back to where you started.

You can also use the same program to "crop" an image, to pick out just a part of your image to use as your avatar (eg just your horse's head). Load the image as above, and click Edit Pictures, but then click Crop from the side bar. A set of "handles" will be put on your picture which you can drag to reduce the amount of visible image, with the part you've cropped shown faded. Having cropped it, you may then have to resize as well, to get it down to the 100 max.

Picture Manager comes as part of MS Office 2003 (with Word, Excel etc). If you don't have it, have a look to see if you have any other photo manipulation software - most digi cameras and phones come with something. They should all have some kind of resize option, which should work in a similar way.

Hope that helps - I'll try and add some screenshots as well

(edited to add screenshots)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:17 pm 

Hi

Ive followed all the above to post an avatar and it still saying its too big any more ideas please? :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:33 pm 

What's the exact message you're getting - is it the size of the image (ie bigger than 100x100 pixels) that it's complaining about, or the size in bytes of the file (ie bigger than 10k bytes)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:14 pm 

I cant seem to reduce my picture under the 10kb, no matter how small I make it :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:52 pm 

PM'd you! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:46 pm 

I too can't seem to get my picture small enough both pixel and file size =/ i type in to make it 100x100 and it automatically makes it 100x98 but then i check properties once saved and its 348x348 and about 50kb

Don't understand why this is avatar system is so frustrating - i've only seen a few people that have good quality pictures - most are so small and pixelated.